Friday, March 26, 2010

Marlon Mitchell Interview

Over the past year the Phillies have traded two of their top catching prospects in the organization in Lou Marson and Travis D’Arnaud in order to acquire aces to help the MLB staff. This left only one big name catcher, Sebastian Valle, in the minor leagues. However, one name that needs to be considered is that of Marlon Mitchell, a seemingly obscure twenty-seventh round pick out of high school. Marlon, born September 30, 1990, stands tall at 6’1” and weighs 180. One interesting thing about him is that prior to being a member of the GCL Phillies, he was a switch-hitting catcher. Now, he only bats left-handed, ironically clipping lefties at a .400 BAA and a struggling .135 against right handed pitchers. The key for Marlon will be to raise his average against right-handed pitchers, and try to keep his .400 against lefties the same.
He is truly a solid catcher, fielding wise, however. According to Perfect Game USA, his ‘pop time’, or the time it takes for a catcher to throw to second base, is an incredible 1.76 time. Pop time helps show whether or not the catcher is able to control the running game, and a good average of high school players tends to be 2.10. Marlon’s time fits up there with major league times already, as many of the major leaguers throw 1.80 on a consistent basis. All in all, if Marlon keeps up his solid fielding and raises his average against righties, there is a solid chance he’ll move up the prospect boards, and definitely is worth following. Thanks to Marlon for his time on the interview.

Q: You were the youngest of four catchers (Diaz, Aviola, and Guerra) to play on the GCL Phillies last year. What separates you from the group?
A: My athleticism, desire to compete, work ethic and desire to advance.

Q: It shows on your Perfect Game USA page that you were a switch hitter in high school. Why now are you only a lefty hitter and is there any reason that you hit .400 against lefties while only .135 against righties?
A: I hit on both sides in high school to challenge myself. Outside of baseball I do everything right handed but hitting wise I just feel more comfortable on the left side. My focus against lefties happened to be much better last year. My goal this season is to focus equally as well against lefties and righties. The more reps I get against righties the better I will get.

Q: How are you like fielding wise as a catcher (.979 fielding with 38% caught stealing)? Would you like to remain a catcher throughout your career and do you think you'll stay there?
A: I’m pretty solid behind the plate and getting better with excellent instruction from the Philly organization. Every day I strive to get better. Development is a priority to me. Being a catcher is my passion. However, I understand in this game things can change.

Q: Which pitchers did you catch last year and which one would you enjoy catching the most?
A: I enjoyed catching the entire GCL Phillies pitching staff each pitcher brought something unique.

Q: What other than money makes a 27th round draft pick sign out of high school?
A: Playing professional baseball is a once in a life time opportunity to play the game I love and to be drafted by one of the best organizations in baseball weighted heavily. My education is just as important to me and the MLB Scholarship Plan made my decision easier as well. I can play for the Phillies and work toward a college degree at the same time.

Q: Did you have a favorite player growing up, if so, who?
A: All of the great catchers! Johnny Bench, Jason Varitek, Joe Mauer, Benito Santiago, Jorge Posada, Ivan Rodriguez and Roy Campanella. They had a passion for the game and gave a 100 % with amazing skills.

Q: Any other comments you'd like to make?
A: I am grateful for the opportunity to play baseball and compete on a professional level. I am still learning, developing and hope to make it to the big leagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment