Thursday, March 11, 2010

Interview with Jon Pettibone

Picked in Round 3 of the 2008 MLB, Jonathan Pettibone is the highest round pick I have interviewed to this point. The righty has very projectable size at 6’5” 200 lbs as a soon to be 20-year-old. The interesting thing about Pettibone is that he claims to be a control pitcher, yet gets a good amount of strikeouts. 36 strikeouts in 35.1 innings is 9.2 strikeouts per nine innings, and is a very good sign for things to come. However, Pettibone will definitely need to work to limit the amounts of hits and walks he gives up, (WHIP 1.500 last year). His most alarming concern would be the 37 hits he gave up in the 35.1 innings.

A weird trend in Pettibone’s career though is his number of unearned runs. In a career 36.1 innings, he has a bizarre 9 unearned runs to go along with 21 earned runs. Clearly, the defense benind Pettibone has not been the best, and not making excuses, but seems to have an effect on how he pitches. Ultimately, I believe that if Pettibone is able to get his WHIP down and continue to develop power and get strikeouts, he has a real chance to be a top prospect. His stats are similar to Jonathan Sanchez of the San Francisco Giants. Granted, Sanchez was two years older at the same level that Pettibone is at, but the stats are very similar. If Pettibone can follow Sanchez’s path of decreasing walks and hits, he will shoot up on the scene. Thanks to Jon for the interview, and is a good player to follow next year.

Q: The prospect boards find your strikeout total (36 in 35 innings) a good sign of things to come. Would you consider yourself more of a power pitcher or a control pitcher?

A: Control pitcher, this is something the Phillies stress at this point and that is being able to control all of your pitches, at anytime in the count. And eventually power coming later on in my career.

Q: What pitches do you have and what is the MPH of your fastball?

A: 2-seam and 4-seam fastball, curveball and changeup. My fastball can be anywhere from 88 to 92.

Q: Going into the next season, what do you think is the thing that you would like to accomplish most, work on most, and consider your best pitching skill?

A: Being a young pitcher like myself there are several things I need to approve on as well as accomplish but the one that comes to mind as the most important is being able to throw my pitches (fast, curve, change) for strikes on a consistent basis and throwing my fastballs on both sides of the plate.

Q: What other than the money did you see in the Phillies organization that made you want to sign out of high school?

A: Just having strong reputation of being a solid organization year after year, also I knew they felt highly of me with the investment they made so it was just something I couldnt pass up.

Q: Have the Phillies told you where you will start next year and if not, what year would you like to be a part of the starting rotation for the Phillies?

A: They have told me they want me starting in low class A Lakewood. A reasonable goal on when I would like to be a part of the Phillies rotation is in 2012.

Q: Any other comments?

A: With my first full season under my belt I'm really excited for the upcoming season as well as a successful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment