Friday, March 19, 2010

Interview with Ryan Bollinger

In the past five years, 47th Round Phillies draft picks to sign include the likes of Nathan Fike and Jon Blanton. Unlike those two players, Ryan Bollinger, drafted in the 47th Round has a true chance to move up the prospect boards. The eighteen year old out of North Dakota is gigantic at 6’6” 185 lbs. He bats and throws left-handed, and plays a solid first base with no errors in his GCL Phillies career. While playing decently in the GCL, Bollinger will have to develop more hitting in order to make it to the MLB. His Perfect Game USA, however, says that he has good power potential with a quick bat and is a solid fielder. (http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=154727)
Obviously, Ryan is very raw, but has a projectable frame and is solid enough at first base to have a good chance of moving up the minors. It all depends on the bat and if he can provide power, but he was truly very young last year, and hopefully an under the radar guy to emerge in the next few years. Thanks to him for doing this interview around a month ago, and comments are greatly appreciated.

Q: What was intriguing about the Phillies that made a 47th round draft pick sign out of high school?

A: It really didn't matter to me what round I was drafted in. It’s my chance to do what I've always wanted to do so after talking with my family we decided that it's what I wanted to do.

Q: What type of hitter do you consider yourself and why (pull, power, all-fields, etc)?

A: I consider myself of more of an opposite field hitter. I've always worked hitting the other way and it’s worked for me so I've just stuck with trying to drive the ball to the left-center gap.

Q: Have the Phillies told you where you will be playing next year, and if not, where would you like to play in the organization?

A: They haven't told me any of that yet. All I've heard is that it depends how I in spring training. I'm more or less just shooting for a spot on either of the low A rosters.

Q: Based on the roster at the Gulf Coast League, there were 3 other first baseman prospects including Jonathan Singleton. What separates you from the group?

A: I think might heights a big advantage for me. Singleton and Wine are both great players so it will be interesting where we all end up.
Q: In how many years would you like to make the Phillies?

A: I'm just shooting to progress one level at a time. I'm only 19 so I have my time to progress and get stronger. They consider me a step behind John because of him being from California and me coming from a small town in North Dakota so all I can do is work extremely hard and have a little luck on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment