Friday, February 26, 2010

Interview with Scott Mathieson

What MLB player comes to mind if the information is given that this pitcher has started for the Phillies after having been drafted in 2002 and remains in the system? Cole Hamels is one viable answer, however so is 17th Round Draft Pick Scott Mathieson. The right handed pitcher turns 26 on Saturday and stands tall at 6’3 190lbs. He is one of the few players that has played in literally every level of the Phillies minor league system including a short stay with the Phillies in 2006. However, Scott has had three elbow surgeries including the famous Tommy John surgery inhibiting his ability essentially to start as he did coming up in the minors. In 2009, Scott did not start a game, but shined in those he came out of the bullpen. With 3 different teams (Rook League, A+, and AA), he finished with a sparkling 0.84 ERA including 34 strikeouts in 32.1 innings. Reading, the AA squad, out of those stats above in 19.1 innings got 17 strikeouts, 1.4 ERA and a miniscule .879 WHIP (walks + hits per inning).

Pitchers like Mathieson, however, are very hard to judge how they will do in the major leagues. For Scott, this will be his second go around in the major leagues, so a lot of the original nervousness that he exhibited in his first stint should not be there. As stated, it is very hard to guess what a pitcher like him will be able to do in the major leagues. From a ‘stuff’ soundpoint he sounds a lot like Ryan Madson in the back of the bullpen. The hope for Mathieson is that sometime this year or next he can be a force out of the back end of the bullpen somewhere, whether that be in a closer, long relief, set up, right handed matchup, etc. Thanks to Scott for his time and comments are appreciated.

Q: Are you completely recovered from sugery and ready to start of the season competing for a spot on the Phillies?

A: Yes, I’m completely healthy now from my 3 elbow surgeries and hopefully can break with the Phillies this season and help get back to the WS and win it.

Q: What pitches do you use and what is the MPH of your fastball?

A: I throw a FB, SL, and a CH, I’ll also mix in a curve every now and then, but not often. Last year my FB got up to 99mph, but would sit a around 96mph. My CH will be anywhere form 84-88mph and my slider last year was 86-89, but I’m hoping to get it around 87-91mph.

Q: I’ve heard rumors that Tommy John surgery actually gives the fastball a few more MPH, are these rumors true?

A: NO there are way to many people out there saying that, and there’s even parents telling there kids to lie to doctor to get the surgery because they believe that it will help them throw harder and make a college or pro team. This is not true by any means. The reason you see some people throw harder after surgery is because when rehabbing from TJ, you have to work very hard and train a lot so most people come back in better shape then they where in before surgery. So kids and parents should look at a good workout routine before trying to have TJ. I’ve had two TJ surgeries and I wouldn't wish anyone to go though that surgery; is not fun and it takes a lot of very hard work and time to come back if you even do come back.

Q: Have you gotten to pitch with Roy Halladay? If so, what is he like? Has he or any of the other Phillies given you advice on pitching?

A: Halladay came down to CLW (Clearwater) early to workout, so I saw him in the gym for about 3 weeks before camp started. We are both in the same work group in camp, so I am lucky enough to work beside him everyday.

I throw everyday with Ryan Madson and he has been helping me with my change up.

Q: Looking at your stats, you have played in every level of the Phillies organization. What are the various changes and similarities that each level, including the Major League team?

A: I’ve been very lucky in baseball and have played at every level baseball has to offer. In pro baseball, the biggest jump for me was from AA to the majors. There’s just a lot more pressure on you when your up in the majors.
I probably had the most fun while playing in Lakewood, NJ. It was the first time I really played in front of fans and live with a great host family there witch made it a very fun year.

Q: What spot in the bullpen are you looking for, or are you still interested in starting?

A: I love starting, but I think my calling is the bullpen. I’m hoping I’ll be pitching near the back end of the bullpen and one day become a closer.

1 comment:

  1. Agree with him on the TJ. Can't believe a doctor would perform it on a hs kid without seeing the tear. Saw Mathieson throw 102 in Reading 4 times in a game but gun could have been out a bit. Lots of 99s also. I doubt very much he is 6'3 190. Looks more like 6'5 240. Phillies need a fireballer and this kid seems to be a bulldog on the mound. Hope he breaks with the team.

    ReplyDelete